US Geography Learning Website
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-08 21:16:50 UTC
Hello fellow educators! Isn't it frustrating how little kids (and
adults) know about US Geography? Many kids today learn more easier
with a game format. Please try out our numerous free US Geography
webgames at http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games.htm
Rick Fey
2005-08-08 21:33:27 UTC
Post by B***@sheppardsoftware.com
Hello fellow educators! Isn't it frustrating how little kids (and
adults) know about US Geography? Many kids today learn more easier
with a game format. Please try out our numerous free US Geography
webgames at http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games.htm
Hello, fellow educator Brad. Your third sentence blows my mind. I
wouldn't mention the problem except that you are touting "educational"
crap and addressing me as your fellow. To me, that third sentence seemed
to undermine your whole pitch. Do you have a game to help marketeers and
spammers learn more gooder English skills such as the reasonable use of
adverbs?

as ever,
sf
I liked the site and bookmarked it.
Rick Fey
2005-08-09 00:20:37 UTC
Post by sf
I liked the site and bookmarked it.
I have always been less forgiving than you. Just as Lee thinks that
elementary teachers should be prepared to teach AP Calculus, I expect a
math marketeer to be able to use English in a competent manner.

"Many kids today learn more easier with a game format."

I don't think I can take his advice, but others are welcome to encourage
him if they like.

as ever,
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-09 14:02:36 UTC
Rick,

Nice use of sarcasm! I will remember to double-check grammar before
posting again. On Aug 7 my site was "Fun Site of the Week" at CNN.com.
Please do try the games. Here's an email I just received that blew
my mind: "Thank you for updating your web page. I love it. However, I
can't connect to the Level L Learn U.S.A states by clicking on states
to find out their name. My son is 2 years old and has learned almost
every state from that game. Is it coming back? Please, e-mail me and
let me know.Thank you so much, Beth Schwinger " -- BTW we did fix the
link.
Rick Fey
2005-08-09 14:45:49 UTC
Nice effort to turn an obvious negative in this micro-market into a
positive. As long as they talk about you, you win. According to sf, it's
working. Glad to be of help. That's marketing.

as ever,
link.
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-09 15:36:23 UTC
Rick,

So how am I going to get rich in this "micro-market?" The web games
are free. There is no advertising. Bet you never bothered to try any
of the games. You might even learn something!
Rick Fey
2005-08-09 16:18:22 UTC
Post by B***@sheppardsoftware.com
Rick,
So how am I going to get rich in this "micro-market?" The web games
are free. There is no advertising. Bet you never bothered to try any
of the games. You might even learn something!
Brad,

You would win that bet. Of course I never bothered to try any of the
games; I never followed the link. I told you from the outset that,
because of the language, I wouldn't go to your so-called "educatiional"
site.

as ever,
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-09 17:45:10 UTC
Rick,

You're a tough customer. Here's the transcript from the CNN show:
"What is the "Fun Site of the Week?"

WASTLER: A little geography test the production staff found. This is
one of the hardest ones I've seen. We had these here. But now check
this out. United states, but they don't give you the borders or
anything. You have to figure it out by rivers and coastline. The red
ones there those are mistakes. Every time it is red, you put it in the
wrong place. Oh we are going to try to find Utah, go by the lake. Go by
Salt Lake. No, no. Not there. You see. But they put it -- this is very
-- it forces you to examine rivers and examine the borders. It is
educational and fun."
Seveigny
2005-08-09 17:29:00 UTC
Post by B***@sheppardsoftware.com
Rick,
So how am I going to get rich in this "micro-market?" The web games
are free. There is no advertising. Bet you never bothered to try any
of the games. You might even learn something!
The web games may be free but this isn't:
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/softwar1.htm

~Cate
Protect public education. Vote NO on Propositions 74, 75 and 76.
Rick Fey
2005-08-09 18:02:38 UTC
I don't know why Brad thought that he should deny his relationship to
the business (below) as Peter denied Our Lord.

as ever,
http://www.shepardsoftware.blah/softwar13.hmm
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-09 19:36:27 UTC
Cate,

Our software is totally free to teachers - who may request the
registration codes using the link on our website "Free For Teachers."
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/teachers.htm For others, our software
is shareware without any expiration date. Only about one person in
5000 ever pays for the registration fee. Some business model! We're
not a non-profit at this point but rather a no-profit!
Serial Killfiler
2005-08-14 03:22:44 UTC
It's important to point out that historically, topic-relevant
advertising has always been tolerated in this newsgroup. Despite what
one poster or two might say in complaint, his postings are justified
by years of precedent, and he shouldn't be harassed for making them.

JZ
=====================================
***@BOTBLOCKyahoo.com

"Those who make peaceful revolution
impossible will make violent revolution
inevitable." JFK, March 12, 1962
=====================================
Rick Fey
2005-08-14 13:59:41 UTC
Jazz is correct about what she says, but Jazz either missed my post (due
to kill-filing?) or my point. Since nobody claimed otherwise, it isn't
"important to point out" what she says. She just wanted to disagree.

as ever,
Guess who
2005-08-11 13:30:53 UTC
Post by B***@sheppardsoftware.com
Rick,
So how am I going to get rich in this "micro-market?" The web games
are free. There is no advertising. Bet you never bothered to try any
of the games. You might even learn something!
1. Then the statement ..."Buy any one of our 10 programs for $14.99
and get the other nine free via download. The price is just $19.99 if
you'd prefer to receive all 10 programs on CD-ROM via postal delivery.
Just pick any program below and go to the purchase section for
details." ...which people come across is not really advertising.

2. Your above childish remarks are not conducive to sparking interest
in your products.

3. People interested in any geography might check our Google Earth,
with a free, extensive, extremely detailed if not complete, tour of
the entire world by satellite imagery.
sf
2005-08-11 14:59:09 UTC
Post by Guess who
3. People interested in any geography might check our Google Earth,
with a free, extensive, extremely detailed if not complete, tour of
the entire world by satellite imagery.
Google Earth is interesting, but not the same thing. No one is
twisting your arms to buy the CDs, so why do you guys have your
panties in a knot over this? You can play the games online without
buying or belonging to anything.

The online games are good geography practice for those who have time
and computer access. I played the game where you place states with no
hints except rivers and lakes... and definitely need more practice - I
was off on 5 states by an average of 135 miles. On the happier side,
I was better at those itty bitty NE states (the ones with their names
out in the Atlantic) than I thought I would be.

I'm glad the OP posted, because I wouldn't have found the site
otherwise.
B***@sheppardsoftware.com
2005-08-11 21:03:55 UTC
sf - Thanks very much! You did much better than I did before I played
the game many times. It's taken us over one year to develop the games.
To judge the interest in them try a google search on "sheppardsoftware
blog" and you can read the blog chatter about our games.

Our next project is chemical elements - if anyone has suggestions we're
open to them. We're also very open to ideas on how to improve our
geography games.
Rick Fey
2005-08-12 02:17:49 UTC
Post by sf
Google Earth is interesting, but not the same thing. No one is
twisting your arms to buy the CDs, so why do you guys have your
panties in a knot over this?
I don't refer to your apparel choices, Barbara, so I don't know why you
speculate about mine. Your tone is offensive. Of course nobody is
twisting my arm. Is that supposed to be a press release? I made a very
specific point about Brad's incompetent attempt at English. That's what
it was about. Then he started lying. Why blame me? Now watch. He'll even
answer this one because any chance to publish his url is to his
advantage, no matter the context.

as ever,